I am going to share a few vegan recipes with you. Though I am not a vegan, I try to make a few dishes during the week that do not have animal protein for good health and economy.
I took on a great writing gig a few years ago where I created about 700 recipes. I am an advocate for healthy eating and opting for healthy choices at least 90 percent of the time.
I feel like these days we have to fight back with all the processed food and eat more produce to compensate for the depleted soil.
Gardens are sprouting up everywhere. Even if you just grow some herbs and a few tomatoes you are improving your health. Both of these recipes will keep well in the fridge for at least 5 days.
Pasta with Veggies
1/4 cup of olive oil
2 tablespoons of wine vinegar
1/4 cup of water
12 ounces of your favorite pasta (check the label to be sure it is vegan)
1 cup of chopped onions
1 cup of chopped broccoli
1 cup of chopped carrots
1 cup of sliced mushrooms
5 roma tomatoes chopped
Spices: 2 tablespoons each of oregano, basil, tarragon, garlic powder and lemon pepper spice
- Cook the pasta according to the package and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a pan.
- Stir in all of the spices.
- Add all the veggies except the tomatoes.
- Add about 1/4 cup of water and cook for about 10 minutes.
- Add the vinegar.
- Add the tomatoes.
- Cook the veggies until tender.
- Stir the pasta in with the veggies.
- Sprinkle on vegan grated parmesan cheese.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve the dish right away.
*Adding vinegar to the veggies cuts down on salt use.
Curried Garbanzo Beans
1 tablespoon of turmeric
1 tablespoon of coriander
1 teaspoon of cinnamon
1 teaspoon of cumin
1 teaspoon of ginger
1 teaspoon of black pepper
1 teaspoon of red pepper flakes (optional)
1/3 cup of Sesame seed oil
1/2 cup of sesame seeds
2 medium cans of organic garbanzo beans drained and rinsed
1 cup of chopped onions
1 cup of thinly sliced carrots
1 thinly sliced medium size potato
1 cup of sweet red peppers chopped
1/4 cup of chopped fresh parsley
1 cup of coconut milk
- Mix all the ingredients for the curry spice together and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a pan, add the potatoes and cook for ten minutes.
- Add all the veggies except the garbanzo beans and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add the garbanzo beans.
- Add the sesame seeds.
- Warm the coconut milk in a small pot. Add the spices and stir until they are dissolved, and the coconut milk is warm.
- Pour the coconut mixture over the veggies and mix thoroughly.
- Serve immediately for best taste.
*I normally cook fresh beans but I prefer garbanzo beans in the can as they are challenging to cook.
Are you eating a vegan diet? Do you have any vegan recipes that you would like to share? Do you grow your own garden? Please join the conversation below.