Yesterday, when I was at the grocery store looking for something to make my headache go away, I had an epiphany about breakfast. Why don’t I make more smoothies when I’m rushing around wanting something healthy to eat?
Smoothies have been around for years and are the complete on-the-go breakfast. In fact, smoothies are also a fantastic afternoon pick me up, perfect for when you feel that slump hitting around 3 pm. Eating breakfast is not a one-size-fits-all and it’s fun to mix it up with some variety.
Did you know smoothies can also help you lose weight? They’re much healthier than your coffee and bagel which can quickly add up to 600 calories and have very little nutrition. It’s important to know healthy eating alternatives especially with all the confusing dietary trends of today.
A perfect smoothie has a few key ingredients to make it a complete and balanced meal. Once you know the basics, the combination of ingredients is limitless. It’s ridiculous how many delicious shakes you can make with just a few combinations of ingredients.
5 Essential Ingredients for a Healthy Smoothie
- A protein source: this can include a scoop of protein powder or 1 TBSP of chia seeds and hemp. You can also use flax seeds, plant-based protein, paleo protein powder or nut butter.
- A healthy liquid: 1 cup of your favorite liquid. You may enjoy cold almond milk, goats milk, coconut milk or yogurt.
- Fruit or vegetables or both: 1 cup total is all you need and if you use frozen the smoothies are creamier and yummier than if you use fresh.
- A healthy fat: Use 1-2 tbsp. Delicious choices are avocado, walnuts, cashews, coconut yogurt, or nut butter.
- Extras: Use 1-2 tsp. There are so many goodies you can add to your smoothie to create extra pizazz. Ginger, lemon, turmeric, mint, probiotic, cinnamon and of course cacao powder.
All you need now is a blender!
A Sample Smoothie Recipe to Try Today!
1 scoop of chocolate protein powder
1 cup of cold almond milk
½ cup of baby spinach or kale
½ cup of frozen blueberries
2 tbsps of avocado
1 tsp cinnamon
How often do you drink a healthy smoothie? Do you have a favorite recipe? What are some of your unique ‘extra’ ingredients to add? I’d love to hear your thoughts on this popular meal replacement.